Shapton Professional Series Waterstones
Shapton Company in Japan produces the Professional Series line of ceramic sharpening stones.
Shapton Professional Series waterstones differ from other waterstones
- Shapton waterstones are made with finely-graded ceramic cutting media which wears much more slowly than aluminum oxide and silicon carbide commonly found in other man-made waterstones. This results in a similar thickness of sharpening material lasting much longer.
- The Shapton Professional Series media is very dense and does not absorb water. This avoids the need to maintain them in water or waiting for them to soak prior to use.
- Shapton uses a binding matrix which is carefully engineered to reveal sharp new cutting media for efficient stock removal while retaining some of the worn media which provides a simultaneous polishing effect. This balance results in a better edge with less effort.
Shapton's Professional Series are competitively priced, long-wearing, require less flattening, no soaking, and cut quickly.
Professional/Traditional Series details:
- Sharpening Media: 5/8 in, (15mm) thick
- Working surface: 8-1/4 x 2-3/4 x 1/2 in. (210 × 70 × 15mm)
- Stones are colored with matching ventilated plastic boxes which also serve as stone holders
- Grits Available: 120, 220, 320,1000, 2000, 5000, 8000, 15000, & 30000 Grit
- Application: Well suited for sharpening a wide range of hard steels used in woodworking tools, kitchen knives and straight razors.
- Made in Japan
A note of caution: "Grey Market" Shapton waterstones with labels in Japanese are not genuine Shapton Professional Series waterstones. This is a different product produced for the Japanese market. They are subject to crazing due to differences in the US climate and are not warranted or supported by Shapton in the USA.