Shapton Sharpening Stones
Shapton Company in Japan produces the GlassStone (HR) line of sharpening products which are engineered for hard and tough steels such tool steels such as O1, A2 and HSS. The (HR) suffix was added to differentiate these original formula GlassStones from newly developed GlassStones intended for other edge tool steels.
GlassStones are third-generation products which benefit from continuous improvement gained from experience with waterstones made for the Japanese market and the Shapton Pro-Series still offered in the US by Craftsman Studio.
Shapton GlassStones differ from other waterstones
- GlassStones are made with finely-graded ceramic cutting media which wears much more slowly than aluminum oxide and silicon carbide commonly found in man-made waterstones. This results in a similar thickness of material lasting 4-5 times longer.
- The GlassStone media is very dense and does not absorb water. This avoids maintaining them in water or waiting for them to soak prior to use.
- Shapton uses a binding matrix which is carefully engineered to reveal sharp new cutting media for efficient stock removal while retaining some of the worn media which provides a simultaneous polishing effect. This balance results in a better edge with less work.
- Shapton's precision ground flat glass base lets you use all of the media right down to the glass. Other waterstones typically crack and break as they become thin.
Shapton's GlassStone Series are competitively priced, long-wearing, require less flattening, no soaking, and cut quickly.
- Sharpening Media: 1/4 in, (5mm) thick
- Working surface: 8-1/4 x 2-3/4 x 1/2 in. (210 × 70 × 10mm)
- Glass Plate: 1/4 in. (5mm) thick precision ground tempered glass
- Grits Available: 120 (Black in color), 220, 320, 500, 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 6000, 8000, 10000, 16000 & 30000 Grit
- Application: Particularly well suited for hard and tough steels such O1, A2 and High Speed Steels.
- Made in Japan
- Craftsman Studio is an Authorized Shapton Reseller